Saturday, September 20, 2008

Almost Game Day!


I obviously look forward to fall for the obvious. Pretty leaves changing, apples and pumpkins, and definitely halloween. But, something else I always look forward to is FOOTBALL! I love having something planned once a week to get together with my boyfriend Al and just eat bad for you kinda food.  (Even though I usually make it in a healthier way shhh, don't tell the boys.) The first week of football this year I made Chili Dog Bacon Cheeseburgers. Oh yeah, I said it, Chili Dog Bacon Cheeseburgers. It was a recipe I heard of from Rachael Ray (she made it up!) But I kind of tweeked it to make it my own. Last week I made Ultimate Nachos with ground beef, red onion, spicy chiles and lots of cheese! Tomorrow I plan on making steak and cheese sandwiches with peppers and onions along with waffle fries! Yummy! Even if you aren't a huge football fan it's still fun to have dinners around a theme I guess. Maybe baseball is your thing or soccer. Maybe you love movies or playing cards. I think it's fun to meld your meal around what you're doing. My favorite football team is the New England Patriots and baseball I love the SOX! I pretty much love all boston teams. It's really cool to hang out with Al and just scream at the television and eat some good food. Try some of these. I think you will like them!

MY Version Chili Dog Bacon Cheeseburgers
16 Slices Bacon (Baked in the oven @ 400 degrees until crispy)
8 Slices of American cheese (or cheddar jack would be delicious)
2 pounds of ground beef
8 hamburger buns (lightly toasted)
4 hot dogs, halved and cut into small pieces
1.5 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 Jalapeno, Seeded and minced (leave the ribs in if you like it spicy)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, minced
1 tbsp oil
2 rounded tbsp, chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp salt 
1/2 tbsp black pepper
Lettuce, Tomato, Avocado, Onion, Chili Sauce and Limes for garnish

Mix hamburger, hot dogs (yes, the hot dog goes into the burger!), tomato paste, jalapeno, onion, chili powder, garlic, oil, cumin, salt and pepper together in a large bowl. Be careful not to over mix. Preheat your grill pan (or large saute pan) to medium high. Mold your hamburger and hot dog mixture into 8 equal patties. Cook 4 hamburgers at a time until your desired doneness. I like well done so it usually takes about 7 minutes or so a side but it really all depends on your pan and how thick your burgers are. Only flip once! When the burgers are about 2 minutes from being done place one slice of american cheese on each burgers and tent a piece of foil over the pan to help cheese melt. Place burgers on buns, top with bacon and any other fixins you like and there you go! Your friends will love you!

What I like to eat on Game Day is definitely a little different then the boys. Last week when they had beef nachos, I had refried bean nachos yum yum! I used all the same ingredients as there's I just made mine using beans instead of beef! And of course, I had some guacamole on the side! Seriously, I love game time! 

No comments: