Friday, April 24, 2009

Food Establishment #11 Cafe Bistro at Nordstroms






A Nordstroms just opened at the North Shore Mall a few weeks ago, I went in yesterday to check it out. When getting off the escalator I saw a small cafe in the back called Cafe Bistro. I thought it was a coffee shop and thought "I'll try it sometime." When walking through the mall I found a menu for Cafe Bistro. It is more like a french luncheon spot than a coffee house, so I decided to go for a quiet lunch alone today.

When I walked to the host stand, I asked for a table for one. The woman, which later was my server explained to me that you order your food first at a counter, you are then seated and waited on. I went to the counter and ordered, a glass of pinot grigio, a water and the roast chicken frites. I was then seated and my server brought over my beverages and my meal.

Pinot Grigio by the glass $5.50
Roast Chicken Frites $14.25

The Pinot Grigio was a nice light pairing with the buttery chicken. I would recommend it.

The chicken boasted to be half a roasted chicken with the restaurants signature pomme frites (french fries) When it came out it was two chicken breasts, skin on, lightly coated in herbed and seasoned flour and pounded thin.  I enjoyed the chicken's coating, it was very flavorful and moist with the herbed butter on top. I did not like the skin on and not very crispy and the chicken was not raw but a little undercooked for my liking (I like my chicken a bit overcooked so in retrospect the chicken was cooked perfect). The pomme frites were delicious. Lightly seasoned with salt and tossed with what tasted like herbs de provence. I finished about half the chicken and a good half the mound of fries when I decided I would try the dessert that makes or breaks a restaurant. The Creme Brulee.

I was able to order the creme brulee from my server, I did not have to go back to the counter, but I did have to pay again. When it came out the presentation was beautiful served with fresh ripe raspberries. I tapped my spoon on the caramelized sugar and "crack" the most beautiful sound in the pastry world. The creme brulee was PERFECT! Perfectly smooth, perfectly cooked and the caramelized sugar was just golden. With the raspberries it was like heaven in custard. 

I would give the Pinot Grigio pairing ****
Roast Chicken ***
Pomme Frites ****
Creme Brulee *****

I would give Cafe Bistro ****
I was a little wigged out by having to order my meal first before being seated, but it worked out ok. I got my food faster. I didn't love you had to pay again if you wanted to add something, they should leave your check open at the counter. My server was extremely friendly and prompt. The restaurant was very clean and nicely laid out. Had an upscale casual feel, definitely a little different than the high end department store out side it's doors. I would go back again, but I would probably try one of the sandwiches or salads, or maybe the short ribs!


No comments: