Monday, March 2, 2009

things to do during economic crisis!

So, as you all know the country is going to shit. I have all faith in Obama and his many plans but its gonna get shittier before it gets better. So first hand having to deal with economic hardship I have come up with a couple ideas to get by during the these hard times.

1. Cook a large piece of meat and make different meals from it all week. I cooked a turkey today, ill eat it with gravy today, as pot pie tomorrow maybe a sandwich on wednesday! So many possibilities. And most large cuts of not so tender meat like pork butt or beef chuck are inexpensive and lend them selves very well to roasting.

2. Space heaters! Oil and gas are rediculously priced and I know I can barely afford it. I am not saying to completely stop using your heat, you can not, your pipes will freeze. But, keeping your heat low saves you money and new space heaters are energy efficient so they wont run your electric bill up to much!

3. Exercise. It's free. It makes you feel good. It get's you in shape! Hurray!

4. Cous cous is one of earth's greatest gifts in my eye! Most cous cous has anywhere from 5-9g of protein per 1/3 cup serving and costs less than like $.75/serving. Cous cous takes 5 min to make and literally takes on the flavor of anything you mix in it. I usually cook my cous cous in chicken stock and then add lime zest, cilantro and a lil soy sauce at the end. Sometimes I even get bold and add frozen veggies yum!

5. Go to the red box. Red boxes are popping up all over the country and are great. You can rent a movie for $1 a night. (plus tax where applicable) You go to the machine, pick your movie, swipe your credit card and out comes the movie. With a bottle of soda and a bag of popcorn you got a pretty cheap date night! But remember to return your movie because you get charged a dollar a day for 25 days and after that you own it!

So I hope these ideas helped a few of you! Let me know if you have any ideas!

Talk to you soon!
Theresa

1 comment:

Jennie La* said...

i've missed your blogs.
couldn't have been a better blog for the days we are in right now.