Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Restaurant Review #1 Top of the Hub






Yesterday was the first day of restaurant week. I went to the highest point restaurant in boston, Top of the Hub!!! I had never been so I took one of my friends from Culinary school and we tore it up, and be tearing it up I mean ate our faces off.
The way I will rate each course is by *,  1 * being the worst and 5 * being the best. I will also comment on the course afterwards. At the end I will comment about restaurant appearance and service. Just remember I am not a professional food critic. I am just a foodie!
Restaurant week offers a 3 course pre fixe menu for $20.09 for lunch and $33.09 for dinner. A new addition to this restaurant week is a 2 course menu for $15.09, but really I look forward to the dessert so I did not opt for that.

Top of the Hub

Appetizer: Roasted Potato Soup *****
~ Came out extremely hot. (Love that!)
~ Not to thick or heavy, it was perfectly nape with a very nice smooth consistency.
~ Nice roasted flavor

Entree: Roasted Lemon Chicken with sweet potato puree and cranberry gastrique ****
~ Beautiful presentation
~ Chicken was perfectly cooked
~ Very small portion of chicken (I understand it was for restaurant week but it was tiny)
~ It took everything Gina and I had not to lick the sweet potatoes and cranberry gastrique off the plate in the very high end restaurant.
~ Sweet potatoes were very smooth and velvety

Dessert: Creme Brulee *** and Honey Yogurt Parfait ***
~ Gorgeous presentation
~ Both desserts had great texture
~ Creme brulee "brulee crust" was not very hard. Did not have the usually "crack" when you go to take a bite.
~ Creme brulee looked like it was starting to seperate.
~ Honey yogurt parfait had good flavor but the butter cookie in between layer was a little too buttery.
~ Passionfruit, raspberry and lemon sauce for parfait were delicious

Restaurant Appearance: High end *****
~ Best view from a restaurant in Boston.
~ Extremely clean, modern look.
~ 360 view of the city
~ Very nice dark bar
~ Huge wine selection displayed in very sleek organized wine closets
~ Piano on one corner of restaurant

Customer Service: Perfect *****
~ Drinks were refilled often
~ Server was extremely friendly and knew his menu with detail
~ Our seats were pulled out for us when we got there and napkins put on our lap
~ Table was kept cleared off, no clutter
~ Courses came out after we were finished with previous course and all came out hot and fresh.

Overall I would give Top of the Hub ****
The place was beautiful, the service was amazing. I am just not sure I would go back there if it wasn't restaurant week. The average check per person is above $50 on any regular day and I am not so sure the food is worth that. I would definitely recommend the Top of the Hub it is definitely a Boston must see.

Next Up: The Melting Pot!





No comments: