Sunday, May 31, 2009

Foodie establishments # 23 Capt's Waterfront Restaurant

Capt's Waterfront Restaurant was number 23 on my list. It's in Salem, Ma down by downtown and the wharf. The restaurant is separated with a upscale casual bar/pub downstairs and a fancier dining room upstairs We sat downstairs because I am pretty sure the dining room was not open. The pub was small probably able to hold about 70 or so with a small bar in the corner. The view was gorgeous looking out over Salem Harbor and all the boats. We sat down and our server came over to take our drink orders. The menu was mainly seafood but had a section of quintessential bar/pub food. It included burgers, pot roast, meat loaf and so much more. There was also a fancier part of the menu that consisted of composed salads and appetizer plates. Al ordered the meat loaf and I ordered the pot roast which to much dismay the kitchen was out of, so I changed it to the Guinness and Onion Pie. The server brought over warm rolls and and soft butter, which to me is like a crowning jewel on a restaurant, I hate cold rolls and hard butter! The food took a long time to come out, probably over a half hour. When it finally did though everything was piping hot and looked delicious. Al's meat loaf he said was the best he had ever had out at a restaurant. It was a huge portion and was served with mashed potatoes and a green bean and carrot medley. My pie was made up of braised steak tips with a guinness jus and onions topped with puff pastry and served with mashed potatoes and the same green beans and carrots. My pie had really good flavor a couple of the pieces of the steak were a little chewy but on the whole it was pretty tender and good. I ordered dessert to go, it was a little disappointing. It was advertised as seasonal fruit tart and I was told it was a cherry cobbler tart. I expected a traditional fruit tart topped with cherry and streusel but it ended up being cherry filling inside a puff pastry shell with more orange flavor than cherry and a couple of side sauces that weren't great. The creme anglaise was good but the cherry sauce was not so palatable. Overall I would definitely go back to Capt's Waterfront again.

Service:*** (This is because of the long time I waited for my food, the server was delightful)
Meatloaf:*****
Guiness Pie:****
Ambiance:****
Noise:**

No comments: